Robert C. McLeod
Inuvik Twin Lakes
Thank you, Mr. Speaker. WHEREAS, the Members of the 18th Legislative Assembly agreed upon a priority to support initiative designed to increase the number of women running for elected office in the Northwest Territories;
AND WHEREAS on March 8, 2018, a motion was adopted by the Legislative Assembly establishing a goal of increasing the representation of women in the Legislative Assembly to 20 percent by 2023 and to 30 percent by 2027;
AND WHEREAS on May 31, 2018, the Speaker of the Legislative Assembly tabled a Discussion Paper on "Temporary Special Measures" to Increase the Representation of Women in the NWT Legislative Assembly;
NOW THEREFORE I MOVE, seconded by the honourable Member for Nahendeh, that pursuant to Rule 92(1), the Legislative Assembly hereby establish a Special Committee to Increase the Representation of Women in the Legislative Assembly;
AND FURTHER, that the following Members be named to the Special Committee:
- The Member for Yellowknife Centre, Ms. Julie Green, Chair;
- The Member for Deh Cho, Mr. Michael M. Nadli;
- The Member for Nunakput, Mr. Herbert Nakimayak;
- The Member for Range Lake, Ms. Caroline Cochrane;
- The Member for Thebacha, Mr. Louis Sebert; and
- The Member for Tu Nedhe-Wiilideh, Mr. Tom Beaulieu.
AND FURTHERMORE, that the Special Committee to Increase the Representation of Women in the Legislative Assembly be established by the terms of reference, identified as Tabled Document 278-18(3). Thank you, Mr. Speaker.